Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Finn Update

I just wanted to update everyone on how Finn is doing. Tomorrow, he will be 2 weeks old. He is up to a big 4lbs, 14oz! Finn had a second brain scan done Monday morning because his first scan came back abnormal - apparently common in preemies. We are so happy to report the results came back this morning, NORMAL!!!! If that wasn't reason enough to celebrate, he was put in a crib today as well. He has to maintain his temperature all by himself, which uses up a lot of his energy. There is still a good chance he will get moved back to his incubator, so keep your fingers crossed! The big thing we have to master is feeding. Finn is attempting to take a bottle and he is allowed to nurse with Mommy once a day. He hasn't been able to finish either one yet. He doesn't have the endurance. So he is still fed through a feeding tube. He is going to continue working with a speech pathologist to develop his suck-swallow skills.

It has been SO difficult leaving our sweet little boy in the hospital these two weeks. It is even more difficult not knowing how long he will be there. Matt and I can't thank everyone enough for all the kind e-mails, blog posts, phone calls - which we are sorry we never have time to return! The gift baskets, flowers, cards, dinners - huge help! Everyone's love and support are helping us get through this difficult time. Thanks so much to Nana and Grammy and all of our families for helping us to take care of Sam, running to the grocery, cooking, and doing whatever needs to get done so that we can spend time with both our boys. We hope that Sam and Finn can meet each other soon! We couldn't do it without you! (A big THANK YOU to my fabulous hubby who has been my rock through this. You help me through my many emotional breakdowns and even get up to sit with me while I pump at all hours of the night!!!).

We will continue to keep everyone up to date when we have any changes. Keep us in your prayers!

4 comments:

Brooklyn said...

Niki,
It is my turn to tell you how amazing you are. You have been so encouraging to me with everything I have been going through with Brooklyn. You need some encouragement too!
You are an awesome mom. I can't imagine how hard it is to leave Finn in the hospital and all the "not knowing" is SO hard. Hang in there, I pray that you will have him home SOON and Sam can meet his little brother. I am so glad Matt is such a wonderful husband and daddy, you two make a great team!! I can't wait to meet Finn and see the ENTIRE Leckrone family, hopefully after the holidays we can come for a visit. We love you guys.
The Butlers

zcanada said...

Matt & Niki,

We are happy to hear that Finn is getting bigger & that his scan came back normal. We really look forward to getting to meet him when he gets bigger. We continue to keep you all in our prayers.

Love,
Zack & Kelly

Anonymous said...

Hey Niki & Matt,

I am Lindsay's roommate and also a NICU nurse. Finn looks great and all your updates sound soooo encouraging. I am sure that it feels like forever, but Finn will be home and the hospital will at one point be a VERY distant memory.
Until you experience it, no one can ever know what it's like in the NICU, especially what this little world means for a parent. Keep hanging in there! As for Finn's eating, you will be surprised, one day, it will just "click" and the big "discharge" word won't be far behind!
Take care, Jenny

Carrettas in Chicago said...

We are thrilled to hear that Finn is doing well and the updates continue to be encouraging! I can't imagine how difficult it has been for you guys, but you are such an amazing family and I know that you'll all be together at home very soon. We are thinking of you and keeping all of you in our prayers; please let us know if there is anything else you need!!

Much love,
April & BJ